Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Help

Recently, I won a competition on the lovely Danimezza's blog, and was sent a copy of The Help, a fantastic book by Kathryn Stockett, and 2 movie passes to see the film adaptation.
It is 6.19am where I live and I only put the book down to prepare dinner and to play with my dog, neither of which took more than an hour, since it arrived by Express Post at roughly 2.30pm yesterday.
I'm not going to go into a whole lot of depth, and I'm not going to give any spoilers, because I WANT YOU TO READ THIS BOOK. If you have spare time in your life at all, it will not be wasted by spending it on The Help.
It is uplifting, funny, heartbreaking, witty, and has a quiet strength that really took me by surprise. I was expecting it to be 'lighter' than it was, but then, I can't conceal how moving I found it when it wasn't.
The book won't be everyones cup of tea, and some will find it more touching than others, and surely some will find it hard to read in places and possibly not bother. That is literature for you, your mileage may vary.

All I know is that I just skipped an entire night of sleep for a book I just didn't want to put down, and I'm not one bit sorry that I did it.









All opinions are my own and in no way influenced by the book or film passes I received, I won them in a competition completely unrelated to my blog and noone has asked me to review either.

No comments:

Post a Comment